Friday, December 5, 2008

My Picasso Moments

I've talked about them before, but only with Aditi. They are the special section of my book of memories.

How do you remember your past? As knowledge? a few words and facts? as a series of events... or a set of smells? Have you paid attention to how you keep you memories?when something triggers your memory... that memory comes rushing back...ever cared how?

My memories are flashes of images, heavily distorted, a few colours dimmed and a few exaggerated in their brightness, over done. The Red too Red and the non descript sky like sterlised cotton... white, thready and never ending.

The Clarity of a few of these images fades with time, a few borders going fuzzy, the photograph getting a tinge of the sepia tone. A few lose all meaning and are relegated to the archives, and like all archives will probably be forgotten about, until something happens that will push you to extract the musty old memories... stale as sand.

A Few will remain on the fringes of your consciousness, the smell of home you left behind, the whiff of familiar perfume... the predictable pot holes in your street. People's faces as you'll always remember then, the Uncle with the funny moustache, the man who had looked immensely proud when he bought his first car, the mohalla kids who you played cricket with. These are your everyday memories, significantly redone to fit your perspective and since then unchanged. 

This makes up most of my memory book, these and the innumerable afternoons i spent chatting away with my friends when i should have been studying. :) 

However, these aren't the memories which make me feel privileged and special to have witnessed them. These were just the ordinary ones which give substance of which i'm made of, but not what defines me per se, what makes me... Me. The ones that do, those are My Picasso Moments.

These images will forever be burned into my consciousness, and each time they surface, they bring an extraordinary amount of... feeling? i guess is the word... with them, each detail, bright and clear as it ever was, each smell, the mood... Everything... it just RUSHES in. These will be the ones that'll define me, the ones that i'll always cherish and each time, be honored and happy that i had a chance to have them.

And if i could relive them, i'd give the world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*thinking*
i remember reading somethin similar
*thinking*
shit...my memory doesn't work properly!!!
*wonders where he can buy picasso service*